TMJ Disorder Treatment and Jaw Pain Relief in New York City, NY
Park South Dentistry takes your entire oral health in account, from the surfaces of your teeth to overall jaw health. If you frequently wake up to an aching jaw or habitual teeth clenching and grinding, our team is here to help. Our team offers relief from TMJ pain so you can live and sleep soundly without excess jaw stress. You don’t have to live with aching jaw pain. Our experienced team in Central Park South is well-prepared to treat TMJ disorder, so you can smile pain and stress-free once again.
What is TMJ vs TMD?
TMJ refers to the temporomandibular joint, the sliding hinge that connects the upper and lower jaw. TMD stands for temporomandibular joint disorder. This describes pain or dysfunction of the jaw joint. It could be a lingering or intense jaw pain, but could also manifest as limited mobility to open the mouth. Although TMJ and TMD are often used interchangeably, the former is simply the joint while the latter refers to the disorder affecting it.
Symptoms of TMD
Jaw pain is the most common culprit of TMJ disorder. When the condition is more severe, it may spread into further aches and pains in the head and upper body. Here a few more signs to look out for that may signify TMD:
- Pain in the jaw or chewing muscles around the joint
- Loss of range of motion in the jaw
- Painful clicking or popping when opening and closing the mouth
- Jaw stiffness
- Earaches without infection
- Ringing in the ears
TMJ Disorder Treatments
Jaw pain relief is available, no matter the root cause of your discomfort. We’ll provide you with TMJ exercises to support further range of motion and strengthen the jaw muscles. Pain medication may also be prescribed to offer temporary relief. For more targeted solutions, dental night guards and Botox® injections offer lasting relief to alleviate jaw pain and relax the muscles.
- Dental night guards: Bruxism, habitual teeth grinding or clenching, is a common habit in adults with TMJ disorder. This stresses the jaw muscles and can damage or wear down teeth over time. Dental night guards are custom-fitted mouthguards that act as a protective barrier between the teeth. Since the night guards are molded to your unique bite, they’re solutions that support a healthy jaw posture without discomfort or obstructing breathing.
- Botox injections: Botox is a safe and effective method to relieve TMJ disorder pain and stress on the chewing muscles. Injections into the jaw muscles offer immediate relief by allowing the muscle to relax. This TMJ treatment can bring immediate relief to severe jaw pain when physical therapy methods aren’t effective.
Check out our other about general dentistry services
Find Relief From TMD Jaw Pain Today
Jaw pain can quickly take control of your life, but relief is possible. Our team uses cutting-edge technology to deliver reliable solutions to TMJ disorder at our dental office near Central Park. Far from temporary fixes, we’ll develop a plan for lasting results that match your needs. If TMJ pain is taking a toll on your daily life, it’s time to partner with a dental team you can trust. Call us today at (212) 355-2000 or schedule an appointment online to start the path towards better overall health.