Root canal therapy (or endodontic treatment) is one of the most proven and time-tested methods to save a tooth that is infected. However, no dental or medical procedure is completely foolproof. There are times when the tooth may not heal properly after a root canal, or situations in which the tooth becomes infected or diseased again. If this happens, an endodontic re-treatment is in order. Rest assured that this type procedure is straightforward with a high success rate.
Do I Need An Endodontic Re-treatment?
If you find that your pain has suddenly returned in your treated tooth (or it never went away), you need to consult with your dentist about the possibility of a failed root canal therapy. Additional endodontic treatments are commonly performed in the following situations, provided by the American Associates of Endodontists?
- Narrow or curved canals were not treated during the initial procedure.
- Endodontic Retreatment Abscess
- Complicated canal anatomy went undetected in the first procedure.
- The placement of the crown or other restoration was delayed following the endodontic treatment.
- The restoration did not prevent salivary contamination to the inside of the tooth.
- In other cases, a new problem can jeopardize a tooth that was successfully treated. For example:
- New decay can expose the root canal filling material to bacteria, causing a new infection in the tooth.
- A loose, cracked or broken crown or filling can expose the tooth to new infection.
- A tooth sustains a fracture.
What Can I Expect During the Procedure?
In order to access the originally treated site within the tooth, it may be necessary to dissemble the crown or other restoration and remove the special canal filling. We will then carefully examine the inner portion of the tooth, including possible narrowed or curved canals that were not properly cleaned and filled the first time. In some cases, endodontic surgery is needed to properly restore the tooth. In either situation, a new crown is typically made and fit to cover the affected tooth.
At Park South Dentistry, we proudly offer excellence in endodontics. We perform root canals, endodontic re-treatment and endodontic surgery, ensuring patients have every opportunity to save their natural teeth whenever possible.