Let’s face it; as much as we like to think we can plan our dental visits, there are times in which unexpected dental concerns arise. Teeth can demand emergency treatment after an accidental fall or sports injury, or when an underlying oral health issue suddenly makes itself known. Many patients are unsure as to when emergency dental care is really warranted. In such cases, it is always better to call your dentist to find out. Neglecting a true dental emergency could lead to worsening pain and more costly treatment later on.
At Park South Dentistry, we proudly offer emergency dental services to ensure we address those unpredicted problems and concerns. Here are some of the most common situations in which scheduling an emergency dental visit is probably best:
- Chipped or Cracked Tooth – Not only could it be unsightly or even cause pain, but damage to a tooth also leaves the inner portion of your tooth more vulnerable to infection.
- Knocked Out Tooth – an “avulsed” tooth often happens during a fall or injury. There is a possibility that the tooth can be re-implanted if you seek emergency care from a dentist. If not, a dental implant and porcelain crown can offer a natural replacement.
- Lost Filling or Crown – when dental restorations come off, your underlying tooth can be quite painful.
- Tooth Pain – seek emergency care if your tooth pain comes on suddenly, as this could mean an infection or abscess.
- Sudden Swelling or Sensitivity – Any abrupt changes in your teeth or gums, such as inflammation, should be looked at by a dentist sooner rather than later. Sudden sensitivity could be a symptom of a tooth crack or cavity that you can’t see with your naked eye.
If you are experiencing dental pain or recently suffered a tooth injury, it is very important that you consult with your dentist rather than resort to the emergency room of a hospital. A dentist is far more equipped to offer the proper treatment and restoration for your smile. At Park South Dentistry, we can get you out of pain as well as ensure your smile is repaired aesthetically and functionally going forward.